Friday, February 3, 2012

Unloved



So I got to thinking tonight about memorial services and who shows up and why. I got to be a part of a service today that was really quite moving. My favorite part of the service is when people get up and share their personal stories and memories of the deceased. There are usually some humorous recollections, touching experiences, and emotional stories that represent how that person was connected to family and friends. It's all about the good stuff - love, happiness, and joy.

So here was what I was thinking about. What if everyone who showed up at your funeral was someone you didn't necessarily get along with or better yet - was someone that really hated you. What if the stories that were shared were of times that you cheated someone, cut them off in traffic and gave them the finger, or bullied at some time or another?

What if the person who died was deserving of all the comments of disgust and disdain they were receiving? What if they were truly not loved by anyone?

That got me thinking more and what came to mind was a song. I think I'll simply let the song speak for itself. Just something to think about.....

I have been unfaithful
I have been unworthy
I have been unrighteous
And I have been unmerciful

I have been unreachable
I have been unteachable
I have been unwilling
And I've been undesirable

And sometimes I have been unwise
I've been undone by what I'm unsure of
But because of you
And all that you went through
I know that I have never been unloved

I have been unbroken
I have been unmended
I have been uneasy
And I've been unapprochable

I've been unemotional
I've been unexceptional
I've been undecided
And I have been unqualified

Unaware - I have been unfair
I've been unfit for blessings from above
But even I can see
The sacrifice You made for me
To show that I have never been unloved

It's because of you
And all that you went through
I know that I have never been unloved

By Michael W. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment