Sunday, January 1, 2012


Today's message at church was from Genesis 12: 1-4a

The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and to to the land I will show you. I will make you a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." So Abram left, as the Lord had told him...

When God calls us to leave it can be hard. I remember leaving behind a career, comfortable and familiar surroundings, a church body, and friends and family when God asked me to leave for seminary. At the time I remember being very apprehensive and unsure of what was around the next corner. Scared might be a better adjective.

This morning's message made me reflect on that experience. God first tells Abram to leave and go where God was going to show him. Almost as if he would reveal his destination step-by-step rather than laying out a complete map. As I think back to our experience, God did just that. Not only was our "final" stopping point unknown until I got hired back in Washington but God also revealed, step-by-step, how he was directing me spiritually.

Secondly, God tells Abram that he will bless him. He tells him that he will be with him personally. And because of that personal presence, Abram will be able to bless others as God blesses him.

Next, God says that He will be at work in those around Abram - blessing and cursing. So not only was God working in Abram, he was working in those who's path would cross with Abram. So many times I experienced that and continue to experience that- God, as He works with me and on me, is working on those around me and somehow those experiences are woven together.

So Abram left as the Lord had told him....

It was hard to leave. And it wasn't all roses after we left either. However, the experiences, growth, relationships, and faith that were built in my life during that season continue to shape me today.

What a comfort it is to know:

You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment