Monday, January 9, 2012

A Favorite


My favorite book of all time is Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Not a big fan of the movie but the book is like a warm cozy blanket on a cold day. I think the cover describes the book as a story about a boy and two dogs. I disagree. It is really a story of a man who, sitting by his fireplace one night, takes the evening to do a life review of sorts as he recalls to the forefront of his mind the experiences he had as a boy with his two dogs.

I remember our sixth grade teacher reading this book to us up until the last couple of chapters - he left those for us to read silently. I wasn't sure why he did this but I remember looking around the classroom while I read the part where the dogs die to see if anyone else was starting to cry. I know what you're thinking - "Wow, even back as a sixth grader he was sensitive." It was sad, so I cried.

When I think about the story tonight what comes to mind is how it talks about loss and the way hope and comfort emerge in the midst of grief and difficulty. I believe God is instrumental in this. He knows what we need and when we need it. I often consider how I would handle certain situations if they came my way. Working as a chaplain who is around some of the most difficult situations people can find themselves in, I tend to think about those types of situations and analyze how I might be able to cope. What is difficult about doing this is not knowing how God is going to speak to my heart with just what I need at just the right time to catch a glimpse of hope and experience some form of comfort.

Billy's story from the book mirrors our lives. We may not suffer the specific loss he did or in the same way but we will suffer loss. When that loss comes, I think if we are patient, hope and comfort will emerge in a way that is tailored specifically to meet our deepest need. It might not necessarily make the feeling of sorrow or pain go away but it will give strength to continue to put one foot in front of the other and to know you are not alone in your struggle.

Tonight I am grateful for people in my life who have helped me in my times of struggle or pain. God has used you to encourage me, support me, challenge me, and simply travel beside me when I needed it. You have been a tangible experience of God's love and provision for me. Thank you. I hope I can be used in the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment