Thursday, January 5, 2012

Music and baseball



Like I have said before, I am not musically inclined. So when my daughter asked me to take her to the Richland School District Music Teachers Performance I had my reservations. Since everyone else besides myself and my daughter are sick I got nominated to take her by default. Don't get me wrong - I like music and I play a mean air guitar, drums, and lead vocals when I am in my car by myself.

As I was watching these teachers perform I couldn't help but appreciate the talent they shared but the enthusiasm with which they shared it. Being a former teacher I think the most important thing a teacher can bring to the classroom is their love for kids and their love for what they teach. I especially enjoyed the beautiful music that was produced by the collaboration of teachers when they played together and even included middle and high school students in their ensemble.

It is hard for me to say this but music has the upper hand I think to athletics - or at least the team sports that I played and coached, namely football and baseball. When you perform musically as a team you bring just as much enjoyment to an audience as a team does when it plays well and wins. However, most high school athletes are unable to play competitive team sports such as baseball or football much past college (if even in college) and certainly not for a lifetime. Music is different. The "teams"performing tonight were of all ages and by the looks on their faces they were really enjoying what they were doing.

To me, there is much beauty in watching a perfectly executed hit and run or squeeze bunt but I must say that listening to the music tonight in the company of my 9 year old as she laid her head on my shoulder was pretty ok too.

(Pics are Philly Orchestra Bldg and Philly Stadium)

No comments:

Post a Comment