Friday, January 13, 2012

All Things


Sometimes I can't turn my mind off. I replay the day - wondering if I should have said more or just been quite. Wondering if I was yielding to the Spirit's leading or suppressing it. Wondering how tomorrow will be or the day after or the day after. That can be exhausting. It's kind of like swimming in one of those jetted pools where you kick and keep moving your arms but you don't ever get anywhere.

I rely a lot on the wisdom of other people when I get like this. I like to read scripture. I like to read books (or parts of books) and sometimes I just like to distract my brain and watch The Office. Michael Scott has some very deep wisdom at times.

Tonight the wisdom comes from John Piper who turns my eyes back to where they should be all the time - to Christ.

"This is all very strange. Because of the gospel, God promises to "give us all things" with Christ (Rom. 8:32). The "all things" turns out to include not just pleasant things but terrible things like tribulation, distress, persecution, famine, nakedness, danger, sword, and death. These are all gospel gifts purchased for us by the blood of Christ. Death is a gift because it takes us more quickly to the great good of the gospel - seeing and savoring the glory of God in the face of Christ. What about these other gifts - tribulation, distress, and so on? How are they benefits that are bought by the gospel? How are they part of "all things" in Romans 8:32 and 28 and Philippians 4:13? The answer is that in the merciful sovereignty of Christ, empowered by his own blood, these sufferings accomplish the greatest good of the gospel, a more pure and authentic and deeply satisfying seeing and savoring of God in Christ."

All things....my worries, doubts, mistakes, intentions.....all things to ultimately place my all in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment